Welcome

Of all the funeral cards, that circulate out there, I wonder how many ever find their way back to the families of origin. A simple funeral card is the summation of a life lived.
Enjoy the discovery process.

Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Boswell Family - Revisited

Playing matchmaker of funeral card to family historian had a wonderful and unexpected outcome.  Just one week ago, through an Ancestry email message to Alicia J. Burrie, I wrote:  "I am a fellow genealogist and I happened upon the funeral cards of John Albert Boswell, Mary Rennett Boswell and Emma Boswell. They are currently being auctioned on Ebay.  If you are interested please let me know how it turns out...."
Of the five family tree submitters related to the Boswells contacted, only Alicia J. Burrie responded. Some panache and bravery is needed to reach out and respond to other family historians and non-related researchers.  A critical element in locating long lost documents, stories, photographs and other historical information can be accomplished by the extra effort to collaborate with others.
This morning, Alicia invited me to her family tree to see the photographs in place and in following correspondence, she unexpectedly details a pay-it-forward story that warmed my genealogist heart.
"...Finding and recovering documents and photographs of my ancestors is truly fascinating and fulfilling. When I can add a photo or record to one of my relatives in my family tree, I feel like I just found another piece of the puzzle to where I come from.
Holding that original photo or document is one of the most exciting rewards of my research.
I want to thank you for taking the time to contact me about my family funeral cards and photos on Ebay. They are on their way back to a family member who will cherish them as part of her family history. God Bless..."
Having met Alicia J. Burrie and learning of her generous spirit makes me grateful to be a part of the wonderful genealogy community.
*above photograph of Mary Renetta Webster Boswell*

No comments: