Welcome

Of all the funeral cards, that circulate out there, I wonder how many ever find their way back to the families of origin. A simple funeral card is the summation of a life lived.
Enjoy the discovery process.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sentimental Sunday - Mom's Card

Rest in Peace. The Lord is my Shepherd. Thirty-nine years have passed since my mother took her last breath.  Although, many days separate me from that moment in time, it remains as vivid as the day of 1 December 1971.  At the age of eighteen and very much self-absorbed in my adolescent life, I said goodbye to my mother.  A most challenging time of my life.  A month prior to her death, stymied by the break up with my first true love, I had limped home from Colorado with a broken heart.  Mom's health was failing and I barely noticed. Thoughts that God was punishing me somehow were entertained.  Sounds a bit dramatic, but Mom always described me as emotional.  As I write this, I weep.
When in need, many loving women have assumed the role of adopted mother and filled those caverns and mountain tops, that only a mature woman can for a younger naive woman.  One in particular stands out, "Momma Sweet" aka Margaret Townsend Allen.  With words of encouragement, lots of laughter and by example she taught me about life's simplicity.  Therefore, I was not punished by the loss of my Mom, but blessed with two mothers in my lifetime.

4 comments:

Claudia said...

I was forty seven when my mother died and I felt that it was much to early. I can not imagine how you felt at the age of eighteen to lose your mother. Just the thought brings tears to my eyes.

Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith said...

Thanks for what you are doing!

Welcome to the Geneabloggers family. Hope you find the association fruitful; I sure do. I'm fairly new, as well, and have found it most stimulating, especially some of the Daily Themes.

Keep telling your ancestor stories!

Dr. Bill ;-)
http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
Author of "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories"

Robin said...

What a very touching story. I can not imagine what you went through. However, I am glad that there was someone that could step in and help guide you along the way. What a very touching story. They would both be very proud.

Thomas MacEntee said...

Thanks for posting the card Dee and the back story - I can imagine it was very difficult to deal with the loss of your mother. Your post helps keep her memory eternal.