Welcome

Of all the funeral cards, that circulate out there, I wonder how many ever find their way back to the families of origin. A simple funeral card is the summation of a life lived.
Enjoy the discovery process.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday - Naomi Perdue Bryant Renfro

The Honeysuckle Tombstone
On the back of this photograph in my grandmother's simple handwriting is "Mother's grave, Age 71 years."  As a child, I can recall my grandmother with tears in her eyes, holding this photograph saying, "This is my mother's grave and there isn't even a tombstone to mark where she is buried."  Little did I know that someday, thirty years later, I would be on a quest to find my great grandmother, Naomi Renfro's grave site, and how important the photo would be in locating her final resting place.
To honor Naomi in death, the family planted a honeysuckle bush at the head of her grave.  In 1930, that is what poor mill workers could afford in lieu of a tombstone.
See the tombstone (upper left of center).  With the assistance of the Sherman, Texas Library staff, I was able to determine the exact location of Naomi Renfro's grave. To this day, the honeysuckle bush still blooms.

2 comments:

Garland Putman said...

Dee I am so happy for you that you found her grave

laura said...

Dear Cousin Dee, Congradulations on finding Naomi,s grave site ! Its a wonderful joy to be able to see in person the resting place of a loved one ! Makes me want to go to that library ans read the history of the family ! And that is what its all about ! Sharing and Caring ! Cousin jean